Adding grilled fish – including salmon – to your diet is a heart-healthy choice. The American Heart Association recommends two servings of fish per week, and salmon as sardines are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and high in protein. Although grilled fish is simple to prepare, it can be difficult to decide how to keep it healthier avoiding some grill issues caused by the traditional cooking methods or when it’s ready to eat. Never – I said never – overcook your fish. Learn how to avoid some issues even when using traditional methods and how to check for done-ness and banish dry grilled fish forever.
HOW TO DO
- Light the grill to a medium to low flame. If you get it too hot, you’ll burn the outside of your fish, while the inside will still be raw.
- If you’re using charcoal or wood, wait until the fire will be without flames. never cook any food over flames.
- Leave the skin on the fish . This protects the fish to get all the PAH’s – Grill dangers – while is grilling and also holds the fish together and makes it easier to remove from the grill when done.
- Determine the approximate thickness of your fish. You will need to grill 7 to 9 minutes for a 1-inch fillet. A whole 2 lb. salmon will take about 15 to 17 minutes – All depends of the used grilling method – Grill Methods / Systems.
- Place the fish on the grill at an angle, skin-side down (always). This will help in taking it off the grill, and also avoids great part of the PAH’s to get into the fish.
- If you have a marinade, you can baste it while it’s grilling.
- Don’t flip it. When you see some “white foam’ (the fat) appear on the top of the fish – with Salmon it is easy to check – it is practically done. It will also look opaque and feel slightly firm.
- Don’t use fork to don’t break the fish and remove the fish from the grill with a thin, flat metal spatula.
This post was adapted from an article. I found some of the writing interesting bur with some missed information.
How to… ehow.com
- Is a wrong grilling method dangerous to your health? (healthygrillusa.wordpress.com)
- Grilling – How to do different grilled foods (healthygrillusa.wordpress.com)
- Grill Methods / Systems – Updated (healthygrillusa.wordpress.com)
- Some tips for a great and healthier “Grill Food” at home – Updated (healthygrillusa.wordpress.com)