Ok, some people complain about the difference between grilling and broiling. Is it to different? Of course not. Grilling and broiling both use intense direct heat to cook foods.
Grilling is the act of cooking with direct heat source in order to be able to sear the food. Searing the food will keep the minerals inside and thus allowing their natural flavors thereby reducing the use of salt.
Different types of food need different temperature levels:
- Red meats higher temperatures
- White meats and fish, low temperatures
To grill/broil in order to get the best meal exempt of the carcinogens caused by a wrong grilling system you just need to follow this:
- Use a tray that enables the placement of a grid on top.
- Put water and if you want you can use some herbs. The aroma will be distributed in a subtle way by food.
- Put the food on top of the grid and put in the oven following the instructions on the distance by type of food.
The water will avoid the production of PAHs – Formed when dripping fat flares up, charring the underside of the meat. In reality, you can get PAH’s when you burn your toast. You also will contribute to maintain the minerals inside of the food due to the existing air density caused by this method. Due to this trick, only the fat will fall on the water.
The food under the heat source will avoid the production of HCAs – Found inside the meat, not just on the surface, and can’t be easily scraped or trimmed off. Also in contrast to PAHs, HCAs aren’t necessarily more likely to be produced during grilling, they can be created when cooking in an ordinary frying pan if it’s hot enough. HCAs are the result of reactions between chemicals in muscle meat produced by high heat or prolonged cooking.
As you can see, this system avoids you to microwave food or even marinate the food (some types of meat loses the natural flavors if marinated), which is generally recommended to do before grilling using the usual methods, to reduce the risk of cancer.
However, this system is not functional if adapted to restaurants. The application of this system in industrial concepts becomes expensive and with low productivity. At home it works perfectly!
In order to improve this healthy grill / broil method you also should pay attention to:
- – Never overcooking. Beef should always be medium rare to medium cooking.
- – Try to use meat cuts low in fat.
- – If you will prefer marinate the meat, always do it in the refrigerator.
- – If the meat cuts you have are not tender, do not use any industrial tenderizer. if you will use papaya skin mixed with your meat for 25 minutes your meat will become tenderized in a natural way.
- – If you will use grass fed meat, don’t forget that has high protein and low fat levels, the meat will usually require 30% less cooking time and will continue to cook when removed from heat. For this reason, if you use a thermometer, remove the meat from your heat source 10 degrees before it reaches the desired temperature.
- – Never use a fork to turn your meat . . . precious juices will be lost. Always use tongs.
- – Bring your meat to room temperature before cooking . . . do not cook it cold straight from a refrigerator.
- – Always pre-heat your grill / broiler before cooking the meat.
If you need any other tips of more information, feel free to send us an email.